Poll: Which paints do you regularly use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Games Workshop / Citadel
35.14%
13 35.14%
Privateer Press "P3"
2.70%
1 2.70%
Vallejo Game Color
16.22%
6 16.22%
Vallejo Model Color
16.22%
6 16.22%
Reaper Master Series
2.70%
1 2.70%
Army Painter
18.92%
7 18.92%
Foundry
2.70%
1 2.70%
Coat d'Arms
2.70%
1 2.70%
Other (please specify)
2.70%
1 2.70%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which paints do you use?
Question 
Having only used GW paints so far, I'm looking to expand my water-based acrylic horizons and wondered which paints the esteemed RedWarSoc'ers regularly use and their experiences of the other ranges beyond GW.

Multi-choice poll attached.
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
I use GW mainly. Have some Vallejo (they did a pink before GW reinstated theirs,) but no idea if its model or game. Picked up some PP too, and the odd Army Painter. To be honest they are much the same and any will do. I feel more comfortable with GW seeing as I know what colours are like, so I cannot see myself switching to another main source for a while.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
I have the basic GW colours and I get on with them. I also got the new silver necron compound that I don't rate for dry brushing.

I have an airbrush too and it prefers Vallejo model air. From what I gather model air is the same paints thinned down with finer pigments from the game colour range. It is not as large a range but has what I need. If you only brush paint then go for game colour. Vallejo are £2 a bottle vs. GW £2.30, you get more for your money (17ML bottle) and they come in dropper bottles for ease of use.

If you are starting to paint a new project or army I would recommend the move to Vallejo.

I do rate the army painter varnishes. I was so happy with this product. when I first discovered it. A simple silver spray over immortals and a couple of highlights then dipped into the varnish. It leaves a gloss finish but I returned mine back to matt. Warning though. It is messy as hell.
(03-01-2013, 10:50 AM)GoNecrons Wrote: If you are starting to paint a new project or army I would recommend the move to Vallejo.

From reading around various painting forums I think I'm erring towards that, and I'll initially look to replace my existing GW colours as they run out with the equivalents from the Vallejo Game Color range. Might have a dabble with Reaper too.

(03-01-2013, 10:50 AM)GoNecrons Wrote: I do rate the army painter varnishes. I was so happy with this product. when I first discovered it. A simple silver spray over immortals and a couple of highlights then dipped into the varnish. It leaves a gloss finish but I returned mine back to matt. Warning though. It is messy as hell.

Quickshade? Same here - takes a bit of getting used to and some practice to nail the technique, but the results are very impressive given the speed.

I've also started using the Army Paint Quickshade Inks, although they are very close to their GW wash equivalents.
Among the articles I've read on this recently, there seems to be a fairly comprehensive discussion of various paint brands here: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31351
Army painter sprays are excellent. however i still like and mainly use the GW range for everything else.

brushes wise i wouldn't go near GW, its all about these
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
(03-01-2013, 11:36 AM)Simian Wrote: Army painter sprays are excellent.
I have heard nightmare stories from several people with regards to Army painter sprays and plastics. Occasionally people have had AP sprays melt their figures, even when following recommended distances. Not had the same situation myself, but be warned if it does happen.

Having said that I did get one of the ghosting Purity Seals once, and that was really annoying.

(03-01-2013, 11:36 AM)Simian Wrote: brushes wise i wouldn't go near GW, its all about these

Despite getting some W&N s7 I am still using Army Painter brushes. Mainly as currently getting lizards done is a speed thing. Which makes my favourite brush the Large GW Drybrush Smile
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
(03-01-2013, 11:36 AM)Simian Wrote: brushes wise i wouldn't go near GW, its all about these

Same here - recently invested in some Series 33 from R&C after ploughing through loads of comparative reviews. They seem to be gaining an excellent reputation.
Quote:I have heard nightmare stories from several people with regards to Army painter sprays and plastics. Occasionally people have had AP sprays melt their figures, even when following recommended distances.

really? that seems mad. not seen/heard anything about that
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
i think I've used just about everything from tamiya,revell,humbrol,gw, Vallejo...i find the vallejo the best stuff,revells "square" boxes paints are good too.

i get good results from Halfords spray...the flames of war branded sparys are a bit in consistent though with my brothers soviet Armour being great but my africa korps stuff being meh
tamiya's sprays are good too but short lived
other alias-jim
current projects-drop-zone commander(ucm/phr),bolt action(everything)