Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Club Scenery
Continued from here...

(17-10-2012, 09:46 PM)jaqenhgar Wrote: Regarding scenery, maybe we could have an 'everyone make a hedge/fence' month, or 'who can make the best crater/ruin/wood?!' week, with some simple guides on how to make it posted online and with the proviso that anything made goes to the club. Or perhaps we could have a day (if funds allow) where people bring in a (fairly decent, complete and painted) piece of scenery in return for free admission that night? That way we could get rid of some of the squashed cardboard scenery and move to some more decent stuff.

(18-10-2012, 08:14 AM)Embolden Wrote: I second the view of club terrain, I like the idea of a night where anyone who brings in a good size and quality piece of terrain gets a free entry, but if club funds couldn't stretch to the whole club getting free entry, maybe stagger it to 40k one night and WM another, WFB another and Necrom another etc etc, this way the dent on the funds might be lessened somewhat?

But then comes the issue of storage, I think we have a good amount of terrain at present (some tables on busy nights can be shooting galleries), but it's getting battered in the those low level boxes, I think some larger boxes might be a good investment.

A solution that's been proposed for the storage of scenery is to invest in some flat boxes, each of which will contain a "theme" for a particular table. In that way most of the scenery required for a given table is stored in a single box, and can be requested when booking a table. I think the benefit of the flat boxes is that there's less inclination to stack pieces on top of each other.

So ideally we'll end up with themed boxes of industrial, city-scape, jungle, desert, fantasy village, and perhaps some 40K themes along the lines of Tau, chaos, etc. The entire box can then be taken straight to the table, which should hopefully make packing away a bit easier as well.

The monthly "scenery creation themes" are a good idea (Gaz suggested something along the same lines).
Figures painted in 2016: 4 Blush
"What this game needs is a panda with a chaingun."
Its probably worth having a decent look at all the scenery and having a really big sort out. I think the flat boxes are a good idea, although it may be worth having some deeper ones to store larger terrain pieces in.
I am planning to have a game free night in Nov to make and paint some terrain pieces i have half assembled for the club, as i just don't have the free time at home at the minute. So i will probably have a decent look at what we have, see if i can fix any of it up etc on that night.
40k- Space marines(5000 pts) Imperial guard (3000 pts) Tau (3000 pts)
Epic 40k-Space marines/Imperial Guard(2000 pts)
Infinity Yu jing (Aprox 1000 pts)
Necromunda Escher Mad capsules Avalanche
Blood bowl Skaven
Sounds like a quartermaster in the making Wink
Instead of a free night for everyone who brings scenery and costing the club a lot in one night why not just have it as a standard offer as free or discounted entry for anyone who brings scenery for the club stock any night ?

Could also be worth looking at the scenery available to buy as it seems to be a range that's rapidly expanding and some of it is reasonable priced and durable, games workshop's plastic range for example.

Maybe boxes with lids would help the stocking problem that ay contents would be kept at a level in the box where its not in danger and the lids would offer more protection too.
No you are right I dont need any more models......but it's so shiney

40K & WFB - Chaos daemons, BFG - Imperial, Warmachine - Cygnar,Retribution and Skorne. Blood Bowl - Chaos,dwarves,humans.
Lol, well any volunteers to help wouldn't get turned away... Tongue
May harrass you for some MDF Bases if okay Stu?
Also if anyone has any decent stryofoam (pink or blue stuff) lying around would be great as i can make some more rock outcrops, hills etc out of it.
Blood bowl Skaven
I've got some off-cuts of pink foam you can have Vince.

Let me know what you want the way of MDF and I'll see what I can sort out. Wickes do 3mm boards in the following sizes, either of which I'm sure the club could provide (subject to asking the treasurer nicely) to anyone who can make good use of them.

607mm x 1829mm @ £7.69

606mm x 1220mm @ £6.96
(18-10-2012, 09:20 AM)jimbobabob Wrote: Could also be worth looking at the scenery available to buy as it seems to be a range that's rapidly expanding and some of it is reasonable priced and durable, games workshop's plastic range for example.

While i agree that some of the available to buy stuff is very good(GW, GF9 etc) would be very pricey to kit out all the tables with that and i don't think we have the funds at the minute to go that route.

The ideal way to go would be for us to maybe scour ebay for some pieces and make some as well, at least in my opinion.

Brilliant, thanks Stu. Will talk about it properly closer to the time, but thinking i will do this the second club night of Nov.
Blood bowl Skaven
I like the idea of both bought and homemade terrain, this will mean no board has all the same stuff on it.

I love the idea of boxes for tables, this means the terrain will not get all mixed up! Good call (if not too expensive!).

I'd agree with the box with the terrain for a table in it. An excellent idea I think...
40k: Bloodimps (Custom Blood Angels chapter )

"Cake for the cake god!"
All sounds good to me, I think once we've got a plan (i.e. a box per table) and some decent storage sorted out we may wish to look at buying some of the GW/Forgeworld plastic scenery with some of the clubs funds but we'd obviously need to be sure it was going to pay for itself first.
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.