Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best frigate for the points
Probably been asked many times over, but what frigates are worth the points? From the starter set I currently have assembled 2 Limas...because they seem to be essential from what I'm told/have read...but what about the last two?
You need New Orleans to drop troops, so I would build those next. If/when you get some more, I would build more New Orleans and maybe some Taipei's - their close action is pretty good and a small group of 3 - 4 of those can be a real threat. One or two Jakartas seem to be run by a lot of people as well. The Toulon I think are OK but don't be seem to be taken very much. So all in all, New Orleans are essential and the others are a matter of taste imo.
40K - Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, Necrons; Lord of the Rings - lots; Bloodbowl - Dwarves, Wood Elves; SAGA - Anglo Danes & Welsh; Guildball - Morticians, Engineers; Dropzone/fleet - Shaltari
(02-03-2018, 02:09 PM)AlanThornton1978 Wrote: Probably been asked many times over, but what frigates are worth the points? From the starter set I currently have assembled 2 Limas...because they seem to be essential from what I'm told/have read...but what about the last two?

You need some New Orleans, Strike Carriers are an esstential part of the game. Toulons and Taipeis can both be effective, I prefer the latter but they require a bit more practice. Jakartas can be useful as a Cheap Active Scan Frigate.

I rarely bother with Limas anymore, as a New Orleans can do exactly the same job for less points and not take up a rare slot. The main advanrage of the Lima is that is allows the group to carry out another special order.
Warhammer 40K - Knights of Saret (Space Marines), Cult of the Damned (Chaos/Daemons), 1st ERF (Astra Militarum), Death Guard & The Purge (Chaos/DG/Daemons), House Landsraad (Imperial Knights)
LOTR - Rohan, Mordor, Dwarves, Moria
Mordhiem - The Wild Rose Company (Dwarves)
Bloodbowl - Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Undead
Guildball - Brewers, Masons
Dropfleet - UCM, Scourge, Shaltari, PHR
Dropzone - UCM
XWing - Rebels, Imperials
Bolt Action - Fallschrimjager
Gates of Antares - Algoryn
SAGA - Vikings, Irish

Currently Working On - Gates of Anatares - Ghar, Warhammer 40K - Death Guard and Necrons

Dismantle Mines, Yes? Or... you die..." - Variks, House of Judgement
You know, given the name "Dropfleet Commander", I completely forgot about the whole idea of dropping troops : ).
Hi Alan, looking forward to meeting you at some point soon.

Would second all of Chris and Luke's comments. If it's helpful to give you an idea, here is what i have currently in my collection, which I built up slowly after playing with other people's models they kindly let me borrow before I built my own.

7 New Orleans
2 Jakartas
3 Toulon
4 Taipei

= 16 total (4 sprues worth)

I am pretty happy with what I ended up building as pretty much all of these models see the table fairly frequently. It you didn't already know, it is worth having 3 Toulons even if you never put them in your list as there is a command card where you can call 3 of them (or a Rio cruiser) in as reinforcements. The Lima is probably only really worth taking if you plan to take cruisers that benefit a lot from going weapons free whenever they fire, such as the Moscow or Atlantis. Otherwise, with a bit of careful planning, as Luke says you can use New Orleans and Jakartas to active scan, which also have secondary bonuses of dropping troops or providing point defense if you end up not needing them to scan/in later turns.
Thanks guys, well I've got my 2 New Orleans. Don't like the Moscow so considering the St. Petersburg class heavy cruiser with a Seattle strike carrier. Where can I order the battle cruisers from, no sign of them on Amazon or eBay.
(02-03-2018, 09:23 PM)AlanThornton1978 Wrote: Thanks guys, well I've got my 2 New Orleans. Don't like the Moscow so considering the St. Petersburg class heavy cruiser with a Seattle strike carrier. Where can I order the battle cruisers from, no sign of them on Amazon or eBay.

Hi Alan, you're best off ordering them from Goblin Gaming https://www.goblingaming.co.uk/tabletop-games/sci-fi/drop-fleet-commander/ucm/, Element Games http://elementgames.co.uk/wargames-and-miniatures/sci-fi-miniatures-games/dropfleet-commander/ucm or Firestorm Games https://www.firestormgames.co.uk/wargames-miniatures/dropfleet-commander#271421.

I would say that if you're planning to buy a Battlecruiser you may not wish to bother building a Heavy Cruiser, they become a little redundant once you have a Battlecruiser.
Dropfleet Commander: UCM
Dropzone Commander: UCM
Star Wars X-Wing: Rebel Alliance
Magic the Gathering
LotR SBG: High Elves
Warhammer 40,000 7th ed.: Astra Militarum & Eldar
Halo Fleet Battles: Covenant
BFG: Imperial Navy & Eldar Corsairs
Warhammer Fantasy 8th ed.: Warriors of Chaos

Element Games referral code JAS173.
Many thanks for the links it's much appreciated
Goblin gaming is the cheapest if you are ordering over £75 as you get free postage.

As for UCM frigates they are all decent, although the Jakarta and the Lima have quite a small niche. I would say that the Taipei is the best frigate but you will need a lot of them, at least 4 in a group, as once they start dying their effectiveness really drops as they are a high priority target. Toulons are also good but I wouldn't take more than 3 of them and use them like skirmishers; striking weaker targets, trying to get behind your opponents battle line and trying very hard not to get shot at.
DZC: UCM
DFC: UCM and PHR
Saga: Gall Gaidheal
Bolt Action: Heer Panzergrens
Warzone: Capitol
Epic: Orks and Marines
Necromunda, Mordheim, BFG, Frostgrave..basically anything that isn't 40K or the abomination that is Age of Sigmar.
Have ordered UCM Battleship from Goblin