Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malifaux 2E first impressions
Howdy,

I know I've discussed the topic briefly with some people at the club, but I thought I'd make a quick post just to give my 2 cents on 2E.

I've only played one game so far and I have to say it's not too different to 1E, However a few things have obviously changed, The upgrade system is the main change in my eyes, and I feel like it adds a lot to the game, you can take the same characters in two different games and have them each play differently to the last, There is an issue I believe with pigeon holing in that there are some upgrades you would never go without(IE, "The true mother" and "Rapid Growth" on Nekima).

I feel like they have added a bit of versatility and flavour to the game, which imo is a great thing, some of the rules/characters have been dumbed down, but it's made the game more accessible and fun, which on the whole for me has made the game a more desirable hobby, as there will be more people to play with.

Personally I'm a casual Malifaux player and I play for Fun, I can see where a malifaux power gamer might get upset, but tbh, I don't think Malifaux is meant to be played competitively, That's why we have WMH/WFB etc.

All in all, I'm impressed and I'll be sinking a large lump of my next pay cheque on some more Malifaux models.

Smiles =]
That's great to know, I didn't play any of me1, but have played four games of 2E, and love it, I'm hoping to get done more games going at the club so if you're ever interested let me know!
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss
One of my major problems with 2E and coming from a Henchman, is pre-measuring. I don't mind it as a concept, and think it adds a good deal to Warhammer. But any game which allows 360* LoS loses a great deal of tactical requirement, with pre-measuring (I'll exclude Saga from that on the principal that you never know if you can activate your unit anyway.)

I'm not a fan of the new casting mechanics, the options for SS usage allowing triggers to be auto met, but I do have things I like (upgrades and Henchman SS usage being key.)

I guess it's swings and roundabouts. I prefer 1.5 but will doubt I'll be going back, seeing as support for tha game has stopped.
Star Wars Legion - Rebels
Guildball - Alchemists
Blood Bowl - Lizardmen
Both myself and Dan have bought crews after our introduction to the game from Gareth. Really enjoyed the game, looking forward to playing more.
Great news! i look forward to playing you soon!
Simian aka Ben
Interests
40k Death Guard, Nurgle and Space Wolves, Malifaux (Guild, Gremlins & Ressers), In Her Majesties Name (Professor Berengei's Circus), Bolt Action (Big Red One), Dredd (Robots), OGaM, Necromunda (Redemptionists)

Hooting into the Abyss