Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: My first game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When we went to Wargames workshop on Saturday, the guy there kindly offered to run me through a game of Magic: The Gathering against Dad. I really enjoyed it, and think that it could certainly be something for me to consider getting into. I know that it can be seriously money-sapping and addictive, but I really do think that it is a great, great game. I think that the rules are simple (well, to start off with, anyway), the idea is brilliant and it isn't that expensive to get a small deck of cards. Although, I know that as you get more and more into the game, it can quickly become a wallet-chomper. Still, though, I am determined to get into the game, and even more determined to find our starter set! I have looked everywhere possible, and still have had no success in finding it. I noticed that (before we replaced an old cabinet) it was lurking around underneath a television stand. I will find you, starter set!

May I just add that I beat Dad well and truely, with me using White cards, and him using Green. I'd love to have some future games with people, and really look forward to when I do!
Sounds interesting I might have a go if it doesn't cost to much.
It's worth considering if it's used in the casual spirit of the game. If I was to play I really should be lent a deck, as my card collection, deck building ability and play skill can be brutal.
(07-08-2011, 01:26 PM)Luke the Squig Wrote: [ -> ]When we went to Wargames workshop on Saturday, the guy there kindly offered to run me through a game of Magic: The Gathering against Dad. I really enjoyed it, and think that it could certainly be something for me to consider getting into. I know that it can be seriously money-sapping and addictive, but I really do think that it is a great, great game. I think that the rules are simple (well, to start off with, anyway), the idea is brilliant and it isn't that expensive to get a small deck of cards. Although, I know that as you get more and more into the game, it can quickly become a wallet-chomper. Still, though, I am determined to get into the game, and even more determined to find our starter set! I have looked everywhere possible, and still have had no success in finding it. I noticed that (before we replaced an old cabinet) it was lurking around underneath a television stand. I will find you, starter set!

May I just add that I beat Dad well and truely, with me using White cards, and him using Green. I'd love to have some future games with people, and really look forward to when I do!

guess what... i have 2 full decks ready for use have some really nasty cards and have the hand rulebook if you wanna borrow it.
i played it a couple of years ago good game i guess i could get a basic set
Me and Simon have quite a collection of magic cards and an extensive knowledge of the game, having played in a majority of the pre-release tournies and Friday night magic events, I enjoy playing it though as gaz has said, only on a casual scene as competitive decks can be very expensive due to specific cards used in them. I'll bring some decks with me Tuesday to have a game of we get time.
Hehe, I can imagine that quickly you will get to the point of: "Wow, that's a lot of cards!". Or have you already passed this point Tongue?
Does anyone remember the OLD mail order GW boxes, that had a Troll on a light grey box. Well the Largest size (which could hold a starter game for example,) in particualr. Well at one time I had 7 of those full of cards.
Me & Amelia have filled some storage crates with Commons and Uncommons heh.

I'd be up for playing any time you'd like to Luke, as Justin said we've played MtG a lot over the last few years and have become kind of good at it (Nearly won a few of the tournaments, then promptly came second from last every other time lol). Plenty of decks made up from Pauper ecks (They only have Lands, Commons and Uncommons) to Pre-Built to Tournament standard and everything in between.

Keep a deck with you at the club if you have room and any time we're free I'll give you a match.

I would love to be able to keep playing MtG in a competitive way and I hate to beat the same drum and I'm not trying to kill your spirit or anything, but Hell's bells does it get extortionately expensive!
Prehaps for those that are interested every so often we could chip in for a box of cards, run a booster draft or rochester draft, then have a quick tournament, with the extra packs being dished out as prizes. I wouldn't suggest every week or even every month, but 8 people playing every three months, you are looking at just at £12, or what works out at £1 a week to puchase the booster box. If you keep it infrequent the cost isn't hugely noticable, nor prohibiting, and it allows everyone to compete on an even keel in the mini tournament.

However thats based on the magic number of 8 players.
Pages: 1 2