Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: Tale of X Warmachines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is the main thread for our little Warmachine series we will be doing here on the Redditch Wargame club.

This series will be about a slow build for Warmachine starting at 15Pts and adding 5pts a month, with hopefully regular games all round.

The Army Composition rules are as follows:

First month: 15pts games
Pick one Warcaster/Warlock for your faction.
This can be any Warcaster/Warlock on your faction.
Using the standard Warmachine army rules, create a standard 15pts list (Don't forget your casters Warmachine/Beast allowance!)

Second Month: 20pts games
You may add an alternative Warcaster at this point to provide an alternative sideboard option.
You may move up to 5pts to the sideboard.
You may add up to 5pts to your list for this month.
So if you remove the full 5pts to the sideboard, this means you can add 10pts to your list for this month.
When selecting your alternative caster, aim to pick one with the same Warmachine/Beast Allowance, otherwise you may find that you will have to drop units to keep within the 20pts allowance. If your Alt Caster has a higher allowance, you can spend the additional points on Solos or caster attachments to bring you up to the pts limit. These solos or caster attachments are then only used when using your Alt caster.

Third - Sixth Month: 25-30-35Pts
Each month follows on like the last, with the option to sideboard up to 5 pts each month to get extra points for that months addition.

Small units with UA and WA are good for this Slow Build, as they give you the most flex ability in the Month to Month build up.

For Example:

Month One: Khador WGS Minimum unit 4 pts +UA +3 WA = 9pts total
Month Two: Sideline the US and 3WA to recover 5 points and use the new points to add a Destroyer.

If we feel these rules are limiting us as we go then we may change them, though we can discuss that later.

All Units should be painted.
Conversions are allowed, but base sizes must be correct.
Facings must be clear (personally I paint them on the base).

For the first Month we will use the stock Scenarios from the Main rule book.
For later months I'm thinking we can try to work on the Steamroller Scenarios but I am also open to suggestions on things we can try.

Lists should be posted in this thread.

Players:
Charlotte: Cryx
Stuart: Cygar
Nick: Legion
jimbobabob : Undecided

Other players welcome!

I'm thinking we can start this in a couple of weeks at the start of September?
That would give us a little while to get things painted up, though I'm sure we can be a bit lax for the first couple of weeks Big Grin How does this sound to everyone?
Sounds fine with me. Though I'm not sure about the 5 point sideboard and 5 point increases. For example, a fair number of Heavy Beasts for Legion are over 10 points each. I'm taking 2 in my starting force simply because I won't be able to take any others as points increase.
Hmm That's a fair point...

The only alternative I can think of is selecting a 15pts force that you must then keep in the army for the whole time, while the extra 5/10/15/20pts can then be spent as you like each month, which itself can be a problem I think as it would still like it the 11pts models unless taken first or waiting till week 4.
(12-08-2015, 08:41 PM)aprilmanha Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm That's a fair point...

The only alternative I can think of is selecting a 15pts force that you must then keep in the army for the whole time, while the extra 5/10/15/20pts can then be spent as you like each month, which itself can be a problem I think as it would still like it the 11pts models unless taken first or waiting till week 4.

Just leave it how you originally planned. The problem mostly lies in the fact that Hordes Warbeasts can be considerably more in points costs than a Warjack. At least for Legion.
maybe allow players to "bank" spare points to add to the next months total as this will help solve nick's problem plus gets past the fact that many things may not come in even multiples of 5 ?
oh yeah and ill go retribution since Stuart's playing Cygnar to add more variety
Just another check to see if people are still interested in this idea now that the w40k series is over and I'm actually able to join in on this myself Big Grin
I'm still very much up for this!
Late to the party as ever! I have Circle I have only played once! Would love to get them some more playtime!!
NECRO BUMP!

So with the news of the new release I am thinking it would be good to aim to do a Tales series to start with the releases of the new battle boxes.

Since the new battle boxes are such good value and all come with new casters, I was thinking we could easily get one each, either for our existing faction of choice or start a new faction for the new edition and use them for the first couple of weeks to relearn the rules for the new edition.

Then after the first couple of weeks and we have all got 3-4 games under our belts so to speak and are comfortable with the rules, we can then get on with building the forces with more painted units in the same slow build manner as before.

How does that sound for everyone?
Pages: 1 2