Redditch Tabletop Gamers Forum

Full Version: Worcester Warhammer 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok so with Worcs Warhammer 2 coming up, here is my first attempt at a 2000 point list. I'll be trying it against Chris tomorrow.

Archmage: Book of Hoeth; Talisman of Preservation; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Light 320

Mage: Dispel Scroll; Ironcurse Icon; Lore of Beasts 115
Noble: Star Lance; Golden Crown of Atrazar; great weapon; Dragon armour; shield; Battle Standard; Elven Steed (Ithilmar barding) 166
Noble: Ogre Blade; Enchanted Shield; Luckstone; Dragon armour; shield; Elven Steed (Ithilmar barding) 147

14 Silver Helms: shields; High Helm; musician; standard bearer 352
18 Archers: musician; standard bearer 200
5 Ellyrian Reavers 80
5 Ellyrian Reavers 80

10 Dragon Princes of Caledor: Drakemaster (Sword of Anti-heroes); musician; standard bearer (Banner of the World Dragon) 400

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower 70

2,000 points

Basic concept is have two heavily armoured (2+) units smash face, buffed with Light and Beasts. However it's very light on chaff, and I am sure I'll miss the Musicians on the Reavers, and the Phoenix. But the army should be able to threaten early on, with 9" moves.
Tinkered with the list a smidge to fit some more chaff in. I also want to use a new option every tournament, to help get everything painted. So here is a revised list.

Archmage: Book of Hoeth; Talisman of Preservation; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Light 320

Mage: Dispel Scroll; Lore of Beasts 110
Noble: Ogre Blade; Enchanted Shield; Luckstone; Dragon armour; Battle Standard; Elven Steed (Ithilmar barding) 170

15 Archers: musician; standard bearer 170
5 Ellyrian Reavers: musician 90

9 Dragon Princes of Caledor: Drakemaster (Sword of Might); musician; standard bearer (War Banner) 346
20 Phoenix Guard: Keeper of the Flame; musician; standard bearer (Banner of the World Dragon) 380

1,996 points
Looking forward to facing this tonight! I am bringing lots of trolls and a big spider Smile
(02-09-2014, 11:33 AM)Gareth Wrote: [ -> ]Tinkered with the list a smidge to fit some more chaff in. I also want to use a new option every tournament, to help get everything painted. So here is a revised list.

Noble: Ogre Blade; Enchanted Shield; Luckstone; Dragon armour; Battle Standard; Elven Steed (Ithilmar barding) 170

9 Dragon Princes of Caledor: Drakemaster (Sword of Might); musician; standard bearer (War Banner) 346
20 Phoenix Guard: Keeper of the Flame; musician; standard bearer (Banner of the World Dragon) 380

1,996 points

So what happened to that opinion of yours when you told me my army choices were rubbish and I should use Lions of Chrace because they had 5 STR rather than my (lovely rock 'ard) Pheonix Guard...? Seems YOU don't want to be without them now! Big Grin
(03-09-2014, 02:15 PM)Agincourt Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-09-2014, 11:33 AM)Gareth Wrote: [ -> ]Tinkered with the list a smidge to fit some more chaff in. I also want to use a new option every tournament, to help get everything painted. So here is a revised list.

1,996 points

So what happened to that opinion of yours when you told me my army choices were rubbish and I should use Lions of Chrace because they had 5 STR rather than my (lovely rock 'ard) Pheonix Guard...? Seems YOU don't want to be without them now! Big Grin

White Lions have Strength 6 Paul, rather than 5. That's a huge difference. For example the best choices in the Empire army are Demigryph Knights and a Steam Tank. In the Ogre army it's Mournfang. A great choice from Warriors of Chaos being Skull Crushers. The problem that Elves of all types have is dealing with armour. You can throw all the ASF attacks in the world, but if only half wound, and 5 out of 6 are saved, you get no where. That's why White Lions excell on the tournament scene.

The other advantage that they have are being Stubborn. It's very very unlikely with an elite force as High Elves, that you will have the ranks to be steadfast. No matter how many times you fight White Lions in combat, and they have a TERRIBLE combat round and lose heavily (I'm thinking the HE whiffing their attacks, or wounds, and taking heavy hits in return, which is something you should consider as we all know it happens,) you will most likely have to kill the White Lions to a man (you most likely will find a Prince and BSB in the unit,) with a guarenteed Ld10 with reroll. Have a bad combat with the PG or SM and you are suddenly looking at 4 or 5 with a reroll, and then praying that your roll high on your flee. When it comes to tournaments, which is all about reducing the chance of failure (so you would want to ensure you had the Crown of Command in the PG unit, but then using 25 points which would help keep your character alive,) because the worst will happen. If your playing 5 games that's a potential 60 combats, most likely 30. So your probably going to get a terrible combat phase, of your opponent an unbelievable one, 2 or 3 times over the weekend. If that costs you a game, your at the bottom of the event.

The next advantage that WL have is that against missile fire (non-magical though,) they have a 3+ armour. Not as good as the PG who get 5+/4+ but miles better than the SM who get 5+/6+. So they are more likely to get whee ever it is that you need them to be. Sat you start with 30 models and 10 get into combat, it doesn't matter what they are going to do, they die. Get there with 28, and your laughing.

Finally after all of that you pay less points than a PG, and that's why the WL are better.

However after all of that there were reasons for choosing PG. The combat force in the army is intended to be the Dragon Princes. The PG will hold a unit up should they get engaged. They don't die easily, and I needed somewhere to put my mages. Looking at the first list, the only place they could hide was in 18 archers. With no AS, ballistic fire would have decimated that unit, and kill my mages. Stick them in the PG, and they should survive against Stone Throwers, Cannons, Bow Fire or what ever, and protect both mages. The unit though wasn't in the list to do the damage (although Fanatics and Doom Divers meant that they had to,) that was the intention of the Dragon Princes.

I also want to have used every option in the book at a tournament though, even Sea Guard, which are purely a fluff choice.
Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinTongue Blimey!!! TongueBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Giving the list another try tonight. Got ruined against no-AS gobbles last week. Let's see what a Deamon Prince does.
Game against Terry was a bit of a disaster, as I won the game early on so the list didn't get a proper challange. Against Craig everything was going fine, until his bell messed me up. However it did leave me missing stubborn units. Beast Mage hasn't got Wildform off once, needing to reach 8 or 9, just to get the spell off before dispel, meant that's an easy drop.

Looking at this now.

Prince: Enchanted Shield; Ogre Blade; Dragon armour 205
Archmage: Dispel Scroll; Talisman of Preservation; Level 4 Wizard 290

Noble: Armour of Destiny; great weapon; shield; Battle Standard 151

20 Archers: musician; standard bearer 220
5 Ellyrian Reavers: bows; musician 95

20 Phoenix Guard: Keeper of the Flame; musician; standard bearer 330
23 White Lions of Chrace: Guardian; musician; standard bearer (Banner of the World Dragon) 379

2,000 points
Ok I think I'm going to be pushing my luck to try and get 20 Phoenix Guard and a foot Prince done in the next two weeks. So bang goes my plan of a new unit per event. Anyway based on what I have painted, the following is my army selection.

Gareth Parfitt - High Elves

Lords;

Archmage (185)
Level 4 (+35)
Book of Hoeth (+55)
Talisman of Preservation (+45)
Lore of Life
Total (320)

Heroes;

Noble (70)
General
Great Weapon (+4)
Dragon Armour (+10)
Elven Steed (+10)
Ithilmar Barding (+5)
Enchanted Shield (+5)
Luckstone (+5)
Crown of Command (+35)
Total (144)

Noble (70)
Battle Standard Bearer (+25)
Great Weapon (+4)
Elven Steed (+10)
Ithilmar Barding (+5)
Armour of Destiny (+50)
Total (164)

Core;

20 Archers (200)
Standard Bearer (+10)
Archers (+10)
Total (+220)

5 Ellyrian Reavers (70)
Musician (+10)
Swap Spears for Bows (+15)
Total (95)

5 Ellyrian Reavers (70)
Musician (+10)
Total (95)

5 Ellyrian Reavers (70)
Musician (+10)
Total (95)

Special;

24 White Lions of Chrace (312)
Champion (+10)
Standard Bearer (+10)
Banner of the World Dragon (+50)
Musician (+10)
Total (392)

10 Dragon Princes of Caledor (290)
Champion (+10)
Standard Bearer (+10)
Lichebone Pennant (+15)
Musician (+10)
Total (335)

Rare;

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (70)
Total (70)

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (70)
Total (70)

Notes -

I have shaved some points off my characters, by dropping the Prince, and switching him to a noble. It will drop my Generals Ld to 9, but does allow me to spread the value of my characters about (all are worth about 300 points to the opponent.)
replacing the Phoenix Guard are some Dragon Princes. With my General having the Crown of Command, the lack of ranks should be negated. My mage being on foot, the lore attribute from High Magic, will be of little use. So I have switched to Lore of Life. Thats allows me to make the fighting blocks tougher, and regrow them (provided spell selection works out well.) The Lichebone Pennant gives a degree of Death Magic protection to the Dragon Prince unit.
Ok about five minutes after submitting my list, I wasn't confident. My confidence was boosted playing against Dan, but today everything I feared came true. Utter disaster of an event for myself, topped off by a 1/2592 occuence ending my last game before my first shooting phase.

However Will did really well with Beastmen. Considering that they normally get a comp boost and give less VPs away, and this event they didn't, it really did prove how well he performed.
Pages: 1 2